Different approach for an enumerator

Different approach for an enumerator

by ARASH ABDOLHOSSEIN POUR MALEKSHAH -
Number of replies: 4

Question: is there a different approach for an enumerator that is an unbounded language vs a finite language. My problem specifically asks for a high level description. Like say that the language L ={a^No b^(2n) |  n >= 0}. So n is unbounded and therefore infinite. if I can make a PDA for it then it must be a CFL and specifically a dPDL so it's a dCFL. So it's decidable but I am not understanding that given a sufficiently large input, potentially forever, how it would halt.

In reply to ARASH ABDOLHOSSEIN POUR MALEKSHAH

Re: Different approach for an enumerator

by Giorgio Satta -

Before I answer your questions, please clarify a few points:

• what is an enumerator?
  • what does it mean n is infinite?
  • infinite input in your use of forever ... recall that any input must be a string and therefore a finte sequence, computation will therefore end at some point

I am also confused by your use of deterministic PDA and deterministic CFL: we have never mentioned these notions in our lectures, they are not part of the syllabus ...

In reply to Giorgio Satta

by ARASH ABDOLHOSSEIN POUR MALEKSHAH -
Dear professor Satta
first of all, thanks for your time and sorry for my delay.
please let me explain completely my question.

1. enumerator is a theoretical construct . It refers to a machine or algorithm that generates (enumerates) strings of a language one by one in a systematic way .

2.n is infinite. it means that the language contains strings of arbitrarily large length.

Maybe I’m just confused on the meaning of high level. How detailed exactly is high level?
I want to know that I am on the right path/train of thought. so I wrote out things I know:
a language is Turing recognizable iff L is recursively enumerable.. So there is a TM that accepts the set and there is an enumerator that enumerates L
a enumerator M is said to enumerate a string w iff at some point M prints w on the output tape
decidable: halts on all inputs. The set is a proper subset of sigma, the set is finite bound and countable. using a ND TM for all K and for all Kth partitions.

a language is decidable iff both L and L complement are Turing recognizable.

Kleene Star is closed under Turing recognizable and Turing decidable languages

I hope that i explained in correct way.

thank you so much
Arash

by Giorgio Satta -

Dear Arash, I think you must have taken a course in formal languages and automata in your bachelor, since you are using concepts that we did not discuss in this class.

I know what an enumerator is, but we have not introduced this notion in class. Please when you come to final exam use only concepts that are mentioned in the syllabus / were discussed in class, do not depart from that.

Coming back to your question, just say that the language L is infinite, which necessarily means it has strings of unbounded length. According to what was done in this course, we have two ways of describing language L.

• First, we can write a PDA (recogniser) that for an arbitrary string w in input will decide whether w is in L or not.
  • Second, we can write a CFG (generative) that generates all strings of L.

Remember that every string w in L has a finite length, by the very definition of string. Thus we can generate w in finite time with our CFG, and we can recognise w in finite time with our PDA. This is true no matter what the length of w is, since we know that the length is always finite.

Please try to reformulate your original question in the framework outlined above.

by Giorgio Satta -

Dear Arash you have not replied to my questions ...