Exam FAQ

Exam FAQ

di Michele Allegra -
Numero di risposte: 0

Dear Students,

here are some answers to frequently asked questions about the exam.

1) How does the exam work?

The exam is composed of two parts: a project, to be carried out preferentially in groups, and an oral exam with theory questions.

2)  When can we do the exam?

The exam can be done in February or March (at the latest early April). We will arrange dates by email. In both cases, I will officially register the exam as part of the Winter session. Of course, you can do the exam in June or July, but in this case it will be registered in the Summer session.

3) Should we do the exam as a group? 

The project should be presented together as a group. The theory part is an individual exam. In principle, is may be convenient to present the project and give the theory oral in the same date, but if needed we can arrange different dates: therefore, you can give the theory part some time after the group presentation, if you find it more convenient.

4) What will be asked in the theory part?

In the Course Program doc, you find the list of theory topics covered in the course. I highlighted in boldface the the topics that may be asked in the exam. Questions will focus on main concepts, rather than detailed proofs.

5) What should be the project about?

The project should be carried out in preferentially in groups, and it should contain either an information theory part or an inference part (or both). In the "Projects" folder you can find some articles that I proposed as a basis for possible projects, but I am happy to accept proposals on your part. In particular, the project may be an extension of a project you are doing for another exam. If you need further information about the projects, I invite you to contact me via email and we can arrange a quick virtual meeting to discuss.