Twitter API Academic Research access

Twitter API Academic Research access

di GIACOMO VIRGINIO -
Numero di risposte: 0

Greetings,

As asked in Monday's class I'll share some suggestions on how to apply for academic research access, which is crucial in case you need to gather tweets older than a week, so if you manage to get access yourself without having to use the professor's api it is surely better (also it has a higher number of tweets you can get each month, 10M up from 500k).

You can find here the site with the indications on how to apply and what you need: https://developer.twitter.com/en/products/twitter-api/academic-research

Some important aspects about the application process: 

• The Academic Research access for Master students should be reserver for students working on their thesis, therefore don't mention it is a project for a course in the application, I'd also suggest to use first person or impersonal form when applaying (e.g. 'I will do' / 'the project will have'; not 'we will do'
  • To request the access you must already have a clear project in mind (indicative title, what you will use Twitter data for etc. etc.)
  • From what I've read from the forums it is much easier to get access if you declare you will use data in an aggregated way
  • You need a Google Scholar account which you have to verify with your official university mail, since the other options to verify our student status are not available for us (we don't have a public profile on the university site and the list of students is only available to public administration)

This being said it looks like they don't have clear guidelines for who gets accepted and it is a bit random (e.g. For researcher working on the same paper some get access and other don't, even if they applied writing the exact same things), so if one member of the group gets denied try making another member to apply (you'd only need one member to get the access anyway)